Cover picture in October issue of the journal Diabetologia from the published article “LIGHT/TNFSF14 is increased in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and promotes islet cell dysfunction and endothelial cell inflammation in vitro” – Collaboration study between members form the two groups (Birkeland and Jenssen) at Oslo Diabetes Research Center.
Bente Halvorsen et al. found increased plasma LIGHT levels in two cohorts of type 2 diabetes patients (Italian and Norwegian). By using in vitro approach with human islets and endothelial cells they also showed that LIGHT could be part of a pathogenic loop, promoting the progression of type 2 diabetes mellitus by impairing insulin secretion by islet cells and contributing to vascular inflammation. Read More
The ISPAD science school for physicians 2016 was arranged in Norway 25-30th of September by a numerous and engaged team from Oslo University Hospital. 18 young physicians and researchers from 13 countries in 5 continents gathered with a faculty of more than 15 experienced researchers in Thorbjørnrud Hotel located in the small village of Jevnaker outside Oslo. The week was filled with lecturers, case- and research presentations and discussions on virtually all aspects of diabetes. Read More
Six abstracts form the research group for type 2 diabetes and metabolism (Kåre I. Birkeland) have been accepted for presentation at EASD in München, September 12-16.
- Dual specificity phosphatase 5 and 6 are oppositely regulated in human skeletal muscle by acute exercise. Eckardt K, Porteymour S, Hjorth M, Lee S, Langleite TM, Holen T, Jensen J, Birkeland KI, Drevon CA. OP 30, Thursday 10.15-11.45, no 178
- No increased incidence of type 1 diabetes under 40 years 2009-2014 in Norwegians and immigrants. Ruiz PLD, Gulseth HL, Bakken IJ, Strøm H, Birkeland KI, Håberg SE, Stene LC. Poster Event F Thursday 12.15-13.15, PS 006, no 306
- HbA1c and second line glucose lowering drug initiation in Denmark, Norway and Sweden: an observational study comparing T2DM management in primary care. Persson F, Bodegard J, Birkeland KI, Furuseth K, Thuresson M, Lindh A , Nilsson PM, Jørgensen ME, Gulseth HL, Søndregaard J, Knudsen ST, Alvarsson M. Poster Event A Tuesday 12-13, PS 007, no 314
- Primary care management of T2DM in Denmark, Norway and Sweden: a long term observational study. Birkeland KI, Bodegard J, Persson F, Knudsen ST, Furuseth K, Thuresson M, Lindh A, Nilsson PM, Alvarsson M, Jørgensen ME, Gulseth HL, Søndregaard J. OP 20, Wednesday 14.30-16.00, no 119
- Decreasing incidence of type 2 diabetes in Norway 2009-2014. Gulseth HL, Ruiz PLD, Bakken IJ, Strøm H, Birkeland KI, Håberg SE, Stene LC. Poster Event F Thursday 12.15-13.15, PS 006, no 307
- Influence of soluble leptin receptor on risk of gestational diabetes in a multi-ethnic population. Sommer C, Gulseth HG, Jenum AK, Sletner L, Thorsby PM, Birkeland, KI. Poster Event C Wednesday 12-13, PS 015, no 380
Knut Dahl-Jørgensen is invited to give a symposium lecture: “The pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes – is virus involved? Lessons from the DiViD study.